First English Lutheran Church was founded in 1896. Originally the church was located on the corner of Mt. Elliot and Pulford (near Mack) in Detroit. First English received her name because it was the ‘first’ congregation in Detroit to use the “English” language exclusively in worship and all aspects of her ministry.
In the 1950’s the decision was made to move the congregation to Grosse Pointe Woods. Ground was broken for the new church in 1956, and the new church was dedicated on December 15, 1957. A new Christian Education unit was dedicated on January 12, 1964. On April 28, 2002 ground was broken for our latest project and our expanded facility was dedicated on September 19, 2004. This expansion includes a full-size, high school regulation gymnasium, with a commercial kitchen, plus a stage with full theatrical lighting and sound. A vocal choir room, bell choir room, new youth room and new entry are also included. In addition, we now have an elevator that will access all floors of our facility plus a ramp into the sanctuary to make our facility truly accessible.
With our expansion we now have a facility that can truly assist us in serving our
members and reaching out to our community. To check availability or to reserve a room, please contact Kyle Clor, our Facilities Coordinator at (313) 881-9703 or e-mail to email@example.com.
First English has been blest with many dedicated members and we look forward to the future of continual service to our Lord, Jesus Christ and the ministry which he has entrusted to his church.